Friday 15 February 2008

Response to an apology

I got an apology from a member of staff yesterday.

A rare thing in itself, but this was an apology for expressing a view, an opinion, about a work issue. She apologised for mouthing off and promised to keep it buttoned in the future.

The thing is I appreciate her views and opinion. I value her openness and professional judgement. I am glad she feels able to share her views and experience with me. I need her to input into my decisions in this area as I don't always have the right, or sometimes any answers.

She is not one of those members of staff, whom we sometimes come across who "force" their views ahead of everyone else, or shouts the loudest.

So my response? Simple, I sent her this emai:

"The ear of the leader must ring with the voices of the people. -- Woodrow Wilson
I should say no more.

Mark"

Sometimes that is all we should say.

No comments: