Wednesday 31 October 2007

Inspired by Others

One of the things I really try and make time for is research. Perhaps this is a hangover from my early days when in my first post prior to graduating I was responsible for research and information, but in this post I find it a never ending source of ideas, concepts and information to reflect on and consider for CCH.

Of course today is it driven by google, but reading the periodicals and journals (which I never really feel is work - which is wrong - we need to keep up with the latest views and trends) can direct you to new organisations, events, information, even the websites themselves give food for creative thought.

Is it copying? Perhaps, but I think it is more about being inspired by others to think about new ideas, and not become totally inward focused. Something which is very easy to become.

1 comment:

Mamtha said...

Hi Mark,

I’m sorry I’m hogging blog space not to comment on your blog but to make this unusual request…although its nice you think research worthwhile.I'm not even sure if you are too senior for such a thing.

I’m a Ph.D. student at Glasgow University trying to find out how people across cultures (U.K. and India) approach life-work, love, leisure, what is important to them and the different things that means ‘happiness’ to them. So I’m here to interview British/Scottish men and women between the ages of 25 and 35 from different walks of life.

And thought this is a good enough way to locate participants..

The interview would be a couple of hours long- this can be broken up into a couple of sessions. And there are also some written exercises.

But why would you want to do this? Well for one, you will be part of an important study that eventually aims to find application in making people happy :) Two, you get to talk about yourself for two whole hours while somebody is really paying attention! Three, when you come visiting India, you can stay in my home in Mumbai and you will be taken around.

I need about 10-12 people and each is therefore very crucial for the study. We could arrange a place that is convenient to YOU and I’ll produce my university id and passport if you want to see it (!!).

So, if you find this interesting, please mail me at mamthakarollil[at]gmail[.]com. Trust me, most people really enjoy this experience.

Please reply.

Eagerly,
Mamtha.